Watermelon Poke Bowls
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar or agave
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
For the bowls:
- 5 cups cubed watermelon
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 1 small zucchini or cucumber, chopped
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 1 small jalapeño or thai chile, diced
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl combine the tamari, garlic, lime juice, rice vinegar, sugar and sesame oil.
- Toss the watermelon with the scallions and a bit of the dressing. Assemble bowls with the watermelon, zucchini or cucumber, macadamia nuts, pickled ginger and jalapeño. Pour on more dressing (as much as you like) and gently toss. Serve.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1/4 turmeric powder
- 1/4 garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: onions and tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Mash the block of tofu right in the pan, with a potato masher or a fork. You can also crumble it into the pan with your hands. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes until the water from the tofu is mostly gone.
- Now add the nutritional yeast, salt, turmeric and garlic powder. Cook and stir constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the non-dairy milk into the pan, and stir to mix. Serve immediately with sliced avocado, hot sauce, parsley, steamed kale, toast or any other breakfast item.
Mushroom Cashew Sticky Rice
- 2 cups glutinous rice/ malagkit
- 1 ½ cup water
- ½ cup roasted cashews
- ¼ cup Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 8 spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- salt to taste
- water for steaming and soaking
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking wine or vegetable broth (I used mirin)
- 1 tablespoon vegan oyster sauce (I used soy sauce mixed with brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Prepare the sticky rice ahead of time. Rinse rice then soak in a bowl of water at least 4 hours. (I used local malagkit and soaked it overnight.)
- Heat a non-stick pan with sesame oil then sauté the mushrooms and spring onions.
- Add the sauces and cooking wine.
- Mix in the roasted cashews.
- Place the glutinous rice in another pot, add 1 1/2 cup water. Add the mushroom mix.
- Cook rice for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring to combine the ingredients well. Depending on the rice variant, additional water may be needed. Cooking may take longer, depending on the rice texture. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Garnish with spring onions or shallots before serving.